Why Use a Decorative Sign Post?
Why would you ever use a decorative sign post? When it comes to function, there is probably nothing more utilitarian than a traffic signal. It’s just a pole in the ground with a placard attached telling you where you are or what you need to do. If a simple wooden post with a board screwed onto it will do the job, why would you change it to something more attractive? We’ll tell you why.
People care about design.
With the rise of sites like Pinterest, and the popularity of magazines like Better Homes & Gardens, people are paying more attention to design. Regular folks are understanding that when form and function work together, a previously mundane object becomes something more. It becomes an object to admire, something that brings joy to the beholder. This applies whether the object is a trash can, a pencil holder, or a sign post.
Design is so important that author and social commentator Daniel Pink devoted an entire chapter to it in his New Your Times bestselling book, A Whole New Mind. Good design, he argues, brings meaning to the mundanely functional things in our lives.
When people encounter an object in their lives, they notice the details. What color is it? Is it well-kept, or is it falling apart? Is it rusty, or polished? Does it do what it is supposed to do? Is it strictly functional, or did someone go to the time or expense to select something beautiful? When it comes to signage, a decorative post can give a visitor the impression that an area is well-maintained, even upscale. It shows an attention to detail that the visitors themselves then notice and appreciate.
People are finding way to include beauty around them in everything they do. From the design of their clothes, to their cars, to the interiors of their homes, design matters. Employers spend millions of dollars to design functional and pleasant spaces for their employees in order to recruit and retain them. Cities are doing the same thing in their neighborhoods and commercial districts.
It enhances your area.
The design of an object doesn’t just give an impression about the object itself. Enhancing such a simple object extends its magic to the rest of the area. While a decorative display isn’t going to salvage a crumbling neighborhood on its own, but it can be a great addition a neighborhood beautification campaign.
There are certain places where it makes a lot of sense to add that extra touch of ornamentation.
- Historic districts. Historic neighborhoods are the perfect place for our turn-of-the-century reproductions of classic designs. If all the houses are of a certain quality and vintage, it only makes sense for the other displays to follow suit. It adds extra class to those areas where people might be coming to look for ideas, or admire the architecture. This is doubly true for historic main street and shopping areas since many people will see them.
- Tourist areas. Places that draw a lot of visitors need good directional focal points to point them in the right direction. Make those visitors feel welcome and special with an ornamental design on your fixtures. The beach, shopping areas, museum districts and more can all benefit from improved aesthetics.
- College campuses. Institutions of higher learning are always working to make their visitors feel special. They are continually welcoming prospective students, new students, new faculty, and visiting speakers to their campuses. The campuses themselves are often complex arrays of buildings that span several city blocks. Signage is absolutely essential for helping people get around, so unified, decorative signs can reinforce the institution’s image of a place of significance.
- Public parks. Green-spaces are becoming an essential part in nearly every city planning project. All over the country, citizens and public leaders are recognizing how important outdoor areas are to the quality of life in a community. It only makes sense to reflect that importance in the placards located in those parks by giving them a little something extra.
- Anywhere you want to make a good impression. Sports complexes, city offices, government buildings, large employers, even small businesses can all be enhanced by decorative signs.
What kinds of signs?
Almost any kind of plaque can be mounted on a decorative post. The standard street blade you see at intersections is probably the most common. These can be enhanced with ornamental scrolling along the tops of the blades, making them appear hung from the scrolling.
Stop signs and other traffic signals are also common. These types benefit from finials at the tops of poles, and your community benefits because they are everywhere. If everywhere someone turns they see that touch of class, they will know they are in a place that care about what people think.
Another oft-overlooking type of signage is wayfinding. Visitors to an area appreciate finding signs that indicate the distance and direction to other locations of interest. Directories, city welcome placards, names of businesses, even customized address plaques are all possibilities. Nothing makes people feel better than feeling confident about where they are going. Why not make them feel confident and show them something pleasant at the same time?
Why choose Mel Northey for Decorative Sign Posts?
With over 30 years in the business, Mel Northey has been providing quality street fixtures to people all over the country. All our products are aluminum, which is lightweight for easy installation, but also incredibly durable. They resist rust, wind, and weather far better than wooden posts ever will. Upscale neighborhoods and cities have been working with us for a long time, and we are happy to offer those services to anyone who needs them.
Sure, you could install a plain pole in your area. It would serve its purpose. But with a little extra time and attention, you could make a big impression on visitors and residence alike. A pretty sign is just as functional as one without any extra decoration. Let form and function work together to enhance the appeal of your project. What are you waiting for? Take a look at our different styles and choose a decorative sign post that is right for you.